On January 17-18, the Triumph Sports Training Center hosted the Sakha Republic (Yakutia) Championship in indoor athletics for two ages: 2004–2005 and 2006–2007, where about 400 athletes gathered. Young athletes from Mirny took part in the competition.
The championship is the first qualifying competition for 7th ‘Children of Asia’ International Sports Games, to be held in 2020 in the capital of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar. The team of the Mirny district under the direction of the coach-teacher of the athletics department of the ALROSA '60th Anniversary of Victory' Sports Complex Ivan Ustinov included 7 students of the department: both experienced athletes and debutants.
Experienced coach for future champions
It is no coincidence Ivan Ustinov (Coach-teacher of the athletics department of the ALROSA '60th Anniversary of Victory' Sports Complex) began to engage in athletics. His father, Andrei Ustinov, is the first Candidate Master of Sports of the USSR in marathon running among residents of Yakutia. So, Ivan was no stranger to athletics from childhood. From an early age he grew up listening to his father’s stories about running, marathon, about the cities where he competed, and about marathon friends. “My father wanted one of the children to follow in his footsteps and instilled a love for this sport to everyone else,” Ustinov shared. So, his four children successfully engaged in athletics. After serving in the army, Ivan, at the insistence of his father, and at his own will, entered the Krasnoyarsk Physical Culture Technical School, Athletics Department. Having worked as a physical education teacher for several years, he began working in the department of internal affairs. Ivan Ustinov, Major of the Department of Internal Affairs at retirement, decided to continue his career as a coach in 2011. He got a job as a sports coach at the ALROSA '60th Anniversary of Victory' Sports Complex.
Stable results and victories
This week Ivan Ustinov with one of his charges is in training camp in Volgograd. Taking advantage of a short break, the coach of the athletes gave us a short interview.
- Ivan Andreevich, tell us about the championship.
- In January, the first qualifying competitions took place - the Sakha Republic (Yakutia) Championship in athletics for those born in 2004–2005 and 2006–2007. In general, for the team of the Mirny district the competitions were successful. All my trainees won seven medals. Our young athletes, born between 2004-2005, are especially strong, they, as planned, brought six medals to the common fund.
The championship is the first qualifying competition for 7th ‘Children of Asia’ International Sports Games, to be held in 2020 in the capital of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar.
- What results have you achieved at this championship?
- According to the results of two days of competition at the best athletics arena of the Far East, 8th grade student of the Polytechnic Lyceum Diana Scherbach won 1st place in the long jump and 3rd place in the triple jump, 7th grade student of secondary school №26 Ilona Yurchenko – 1st place in the 200m race and 2nd place at 60m, 6th grade student of the Polytechnic Lyceum Matvey Tomashuk excelled in the 1500m race. Second place was taken by 7th grade student of school №7 Sergey Manekin at a distance of 400 m and 7th grade student of secondary school №26 Alina Nikitina - in long jump.
Also in the 2006-2007 age category it is worth noting Sonya Fedina, a 5th grade student of school №7, who took 5th place in the long jump and 11th place in the 60 meters race out of 42 competitors; 6th grade student of school №26 Ratmir Sufiyanov, who took 7th place in the long jump out of 22 competitors.
- How close are these results to the best compared to previous ones?
- At the moment, the age for track and field sports has not yet fully clarified at 7th 'Children of Asia' Games, therefore it is too early to draw conclusions, and also to judge by the results.
- Is it possible to say that the results of the qualifying competitions are a ticket to the national team of the republic for the Games? Or is a reserve being formed for the main team currently?
- The first selections just outline candidates for the national team. Therefore, it is not even a reserve, but a pool of athletes who can get into the team.
- In athletics, the athlete should reach the peak form of condition for the main competitions, in our case - for the ‘Children of Asia.’ But are there any other competitions of the Far East ahead?
- It is clear that the coaches should make their athletes reach the peak form for the 'Children of Asia' International Sports Games, but candidates for the national team of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) must pass through challenges of competitions at various levels, from the Republican and Far-Eastern to All-Russian. And at the moment we are at competitions in Volgograd with one of my charges.
Through experience to victories
The organization of the trip, participation in competitions and the first victories are the result of the support of the management and the team of the ALROSA '60th Anniversary of Victory' Sports Complex and the Mirny district. Trainees have gained a great deal of sports experience, participating for the first time in competitions of such level. And as stated in the motto of the International Sports Games - 'Children of Asia' is the beginning of victories.